Requisition Id 8781
Oak Ridge National Laboratory is the largest US Department of Energy science and energy laboratory, conducting basic and applied research to deliver transformative solutions to compelling problems in energy and security.
The Collection Science and Engineering Group (CSE) of the Nuclear Nonproliferation Division (NND) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) seeks applicants for a full-time associate staff scientist position that will focus on the development, testing, and deployment of data analysis methods for a variety of national security, proliferation detection, and nuclear forensics applications. CSE members combine expertise in multiple aspects of the nuclear fuel cycle, collector development and deployment, radiation detection, atmospheric transport and dispersion, applied mathematics, and data analytics to provide the research and development (R&D) and associated technical and operational support that enables a conduct of nuclear nonproliferation missions for numerous US Government agencies. The successful applicant will work with these multidisciplinary teams to identify, develop, and implement solutions for national security challenges. In particular, this position will focus on application of data science and advanced modeling to processes and signals of interest to the nonproliferation community. The NND is a division operating within the National Security Sciences Directorate at ORNL. A key mission of the NND is delivery of R&D needed to improve the protection of nuclear materials and fuel cycle technology and prevent the theft, diversion, and illicit use of those materials or technologies, while at the same time allowing for their peaceful use in the global arena. The division is responsible for a range of expertise, facilities, and equipment and applies these combined assets to address R&D and operational challenges related to nonproliferation, safeguards, treaty verification, counterproliferation, and global nuclear security. The division activities also play a vital role in implementation of national policy issues that strive to ensure global nuclear security. The mission of the Collection Science and Engineering Group is to apply scientific and engineering principles to conceptualize, design, fabricate, deploy, and validate advanced collection systems. Collection system development will be coupled with high-confidence planning and operational knowledge to enable effective validation and deployment in real-world scenarios. The group interfaces and collaborates with facility, process, and research staff across ORNL and with elements of the chemistry and materials science missions within NND and across the broader ORNL and DOE community. The group will collaborate strongly with analytical expertise and experimental capabilities within ORNL to ensure collection planning and execution to maximize the analytical value of the development. The individual selected for this position will be responsible for interacting with division staff members inside and outside CSE, working on projects in a team environment. The successful candidate is expected to be able to participate in the development of research proposals, and report results of their work in peer-reviewed journal publications, conference papers and technical reports.
- Collection system design and development
- Collection system deployment and sample inventory
- Laboratory organization
- The successful candidate will be expected to engage programmatically and technically across the division, directorate, and laboratory to help sustain and grow ORNL impact on nuclear nonproliferation and nuclear security missions.
- The candidate is expected to work well both in a team environment and independently and to fully document work performed in technical reports, papers, and presentations. The candidate will be responsible for contributing to and expanding CSE’s capabilities and scientific impact through proposals and other program development.
- The researcher will support senior staff in the development and execution of projects that provide valued and timely deliverables supporting the National Security Sciences Directorate (NSSD) and nonproliferation customers.
- The successful candidate will maintain a strong commitment to the implementation and perpetuation of the institution values and ethics, and bide by all environmental, safety, health and quality requirements and implement practices per ORNL’s Standards-based Management System (SBMS).
The focus of this position will be on development of novel air collection systems for applications relevant to nuclear nonproliferation. The successful candidate will:
- develop and test air collection systems
- develop laboratory and field campaign organizational protocols
- assist with field campaign activities
- B.S. in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering or related field
- Experience with or willingness to learn AutoCAD or similar design programs
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills, a willingness to apply those skills to a variety of problems, and the ability to determine and understand the broader context of the group’s research.
- Has strong background in mechanical and electrical applications/engineering
- Has experience with field work
- Has familiarization or can become familiar with meteorology instrumentation and systems
- Has exceptional organizational skills in field
- Has experience working in a laboratory environment
- Independently solves a variety of complex technical challenges using advanced knowledge and significant experience
- Derives solutions to equipment issues quickly during field exercises
- Engages programmatically and technically across the division, directorate, and laboratory to help sustain and grow ORNL impact on nuclear nonproliferation and nuclear security missions.
- Works well both independently and in a team environment and to fully document work performed in technical reports and papers. The candidate will be responsible for contributing to and expanding CSE’s capabilities and scientific impact through proposals and other program development.
- Supports senior staff in the development and execution of projects that provide valued and timely deliverables supporting the National Security Sciences Directorate (NSSD) and nonproliferation customers.
- Maintains a strong commitment to the implementation and perpetuation of the institution values and ethics, and bide by all environmental, safety, health and quality requirements and implement practices per ORNL’s Standards-based Management System (SBMS).
Moving can be overwhelming and expensive. UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process. Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions. If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details. For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the “About” tab at jobs.ornl.gov.
HSPD-12 PIV badge: This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain an HSPD-12 PIV badge.
Q clearance with SCI: This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain an Secret Compartmented Information (SCI) clearance from the Department of Energy. As such, this position is a Workplace Substance Abuse (WSAP) testing designated position. WSAP positions require passing a pre-placement drug test and participation in an ongoing random drug testing program. In addition, due the SCI, you may be also be subject to random polygraph testing.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.