Requisition Id 9286
ORNL’s Nuclear Nonproliferation Division (NND) within the National Security Sciences Directorate is a world-class leader in the development and deployment of technology for nuclear nonproliferation, safeguards and security technology, threat reduction, material and transportation security, export control, and nuclear security. The key elements necessary to reach this vision are an experienced and professional staff; state-of-the-art facilities, equipment, and instrumentation; and challenging programs and projects of national importance. Nuclear nonproliferation programs offer opportunities to engage with international partners and share the scientific and technological advances and resources ORNL and other laboratories across the DOE complex have developed to facilitate this mission. These opportunities create unique projects requiring creative problem-solving skills to identify and address challenges and devise solutions for technical projects. The Project Planning and Logistics (PP&L) group within NND seeks applications for a Nuclear Nonproliferation Program Implementation Specialist staff member. The candidate will be responsible for the accuracy, quality and timeliness of mission related commitments and deliverables and must possess be capable of independently solving problems for technical projects, 2) developing and refining solutions to technical problems, 3) designing and documenting processes, and 4) suggesting strategies to implement these across the suite of international and domestic projects/programs conducted within NND.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ability to assess business processes and tools and apply technology and commercially available software to automate those processes, collect relevant metrics, track project status and report on accomplishments.
- Ability to correctly apply and adhere to established procedures, policies, and discipline-specific techniques.
- Take initiative to participate in and lead system and process requirements and improvements that consider all project contributors from the technical, research and business perspectives.
- Identify and resolve potential project resource conflicts.
- Interact with all project participants including project and engagement leads, sponsors, and international participants.
- Develop and monitor project plans alerting project team leads of any issues or concerns.
- Develop and deliver monthly cost and status reports, quarterly program or project reviews, and other ad hoc reports. Consolidate monthly reports into quarterly and annual reports as requested.
- Contribute financial and status details to presentations, reports, proposals, or other project outputs as needed.
- Partner with engagement leads to identify and adjust project scope, schedule, budget, and other project elements to ensure successful implementation.
- Collaborate with other functional areas to identify issues, including potential risks to successful project completion. Work with sponsors, managers, customers, and finance officers to promptly resolve issues and implement mitigation plans as directed.
- Contribute to statements of work, define periods of performance, and monitor the status of the request through approvals and authorizations.
- Monitor all close-out processing and documentation for each project or engagement and produce final reports.
- Coordinate program/project lessons learned processes and procedures, process improvements, and develop plans for resolution.
- Act as Technical Project Officer (TPO) on contracts.
- Maintain compliance with environment, safety, health, and quality program requirements.
- Maintain a strong commitment to the implementation and perpetuation of ORNL’s core values and standards of workplace ethics.
- B.S. degree in related field with a minimum of five-years’ relevant experience.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Teams Environment and associated apps such as Word, Excel, Power Point, Project, BI Tool and other similar software packages. Desire to solve problems and maximize efficiency through automation using these existing, supported tools.
- Customer and vendor relations and leadership qualities commensurate with experience.
- Ability to work independently of direct supervision domestically and internationally.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal).
- A self-starter able to set priorities to accomplish goals and meet milestones independently and collaboratively in a team environment.
- Willingness to engage in domestic and international travel.
- Project Management Institute (PMI) Project Management Professional (PMP) or Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM) certification.
- Familiarity with multiple funding streams, contract types, proposal solicitations and evaluations. Federal Government contracting or other contracts-related certifications.
- Experience with ORNL-specific systems and tools including SAP, BI Tool, Resolution, SPPS and others.
This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a clearance from the Department of Energy (US DOE). As such, this position is a Workplace Substance Abuse (WSAP) testing designated position. WSAP positions require passing a pre-placement drug test and participation in an ongoing random drug testing program. Candidate may be required to obtain a US DOE Q clearance.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.