Requisition Id 8912
The Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) conducts research, development, and deployment of radar technologies to address national security and other worldwide challenges. Our research capabilities include radar and optics technologies, radio frequency (RF) communications, electromagnetics, real-time systems, data mining and analysis, machine learning, high performance computing, cyber security protection for radar and related training systems, signal processing, and software development. In general, activities involve first-class interdisciplinary research with multiple research groups at ORNL, collaborations with private industry and academic partners across the nation, and mission-specific support for our national security research sponsors. ORNL thrives in a culture of respect, diversity, curiosity, and discovery.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
As a full-time Associate Research Staff you will utilize advanced signal processing techniques to support technology assessments, engineering analysis, engineering studies, design reviews, and specifications development for upgrading existing radar and optical tracking systems and developing new instrumentation, target, and threat simulation systems for the Department of Energy (DoE) and other government agencies (OGAs). As part of your tasking, you may be required to develop and prototype radar transponders, develop advanced radar data processing tools utilizing artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML), advance sensor fusion technologies, and perform radar fleet analysis to influence future radar procurements. In short, you will help envision, design, develop, test, and deploy radar and optics technologies to support national security needs.
The position requires development of innovative solutions for general radar and optics challenges and collaboration with other team members for the development of technical demonstrations, proposals, oral presentations, and publications. No less important, the interdisciplinary nature of projects demands strong interpersonal skills, evidence of working well in teams, and an expected desire to seek and develop healthy relationships. Finally, the position requires a passion for mission-focused National Security challenges.
- Bachelors with 6+ years of experience, Masters with 3+ years of experience, or a Doctorate degree with a strong record of research and development in Electrical and Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, or a related field.
- Proven signal processing experience in radar and/or optics applications.
- Excellent communication skills for conveying technical material to both scientists and non-scientists in both written and oral presentations.
- Self-disciplined work ethic and eagerness to tackle challenging research problems.
- Strong desire to work in a team environment.
- Experience with radar and optics applications.
- Experience with AI/ML.
- Experience with RF signature recognition and classification algorithms.
- Experience with Computational Imaging and Image Reconstruction techniques.
- Familiarity with federal funding procedures, regulations, policies, and practices.
- Experience developing and managing research projects.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.