Requisition Id 10954
Oak Ridge National Laboratory is the largest US Department of Energy science and energy laboratory, conducting basic and applied research to deliver transformative solutions to compelling problems in energy and security.
We are seeking a Technical Professional who will support the Analytical Development and Operations Group in the Nuclear Nonproliferation Division of the National Security Sciences Directorate at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL). The incumbent will work with a team of scientists and technical staff to facilitate execution of material analysis workflows for a variety of stakeholders. Depending on application pool, several candidates may be hired at levels higher than the posting.
- As part of a team, responsible for technical data acquisition on a variety of projects using scanning electron microscopy (SEM), energy dispersive spectroscopy (EDS), and Raman Spectroscopy.
- As part of a team, responsible for sample preparation and storage.
- Responsible for coordinating review of technical results with relevant SMEs for feedback.
- Responsible for assisting with reporting of data analysis results.
- Responsible for assisting with instrument operations, troubleshooting, and maintenance.
- Responsible for assisting with laboratory operations, documentation upkeep.
- Deliver ORNL's mission by aligning behaviors, priorities, and interactions with our core values of Impact, Integrity, Teamwork, Safety, and Service. Promote diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility by fostering a respectful workplace - in how we treat one another, work together, and measure success.
- Demonstrated professional experience with scanning electron microscopy and one or more benchtop material characterization techniques including Raman, FTIR, SIMS, GC-MS, x-ray scattering, XRF, or atom-probe tomography.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in a physical, chemical, environmental sciences or related scientific discipline (basic or applied sciences), and a minimum of 2 years experience. A combination of education and experience may also be considered.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to function well in a fast-paced research environment, set priorities to accomplish multiple tasks within deadlines, and adapt to ever changing needs
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently and to participate creatively in collaborative teams.
- Master’s or PhD in physics, materials science, chemistry, geochemistry, environmental science, or other related basic or applied science discipline.
- Experience with sample preparation, storage, and handling.
- Experience working in a clean room environment.
- Experience working in an applied analysis environment.
- Experience working in ISO-Compliant laboratory setting.
- Experience executing data analysis and review under standard operating procedures.
- Experience writing standard operating procedures.
- Experience translating R&D activities to analytical protocols.
- Experience with coding and code development, including Python or R.
For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the “About” tab at jobs.ornl.gov.
Q Clearance: This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a clearance from the Department of Energy. As such, this position is a Workplace Substance Abuse (WSAP) testing designated position. WSAP positions require passing a pre-placement drug test and participation in an ongoing random drug testing program.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.