Requisition Id 10745
Oak Ridge National Laboratory’s National Security Sciences Directorate seeks applicants with a strong background in cyber-physical security and/or quantum information to lead a burgeoning quantum systems security science program. The position will focus on building a program to understand the emerging field of cyber security at the interface of quantum systems and classical control systems. ORNL is a pioneering institution in cyber-physical systems, artificial intelligence research, and quantum information science (QIS). NSSD is looking to build upon these efforts and establish a program in quantum system security science (QSSS) and lead the US efforts in securing tomorrow’s technological advancements in quantum networks, computing, and sensing.
Major Job Duties and Responsibilities:
Applicants will be responsible for establishing a research effort at the forefront of QSSS with following major duties and responsibilities:
- Lead both unclassified and classified research in QSSS areas of interest
- Draw upon ORNL expertise in cyber-physical systems, AI research, and QIS
- Build a group that publishes open research in QSSS
- A willingness to establish new connections with the national security community
- Present results of both unclassified and classified work
- Interact and collaborate with government agencies and members of the national security community
- Abide by all environmental, safety, health and quality requirements and implement practices per ORNL’s Standards-based Management System (SBMS)
- Maintain a strong commitment to the implementation of the Directorate’s values and ethics
- Occasional domestic travel
- Deliver ORNL's mission by aligning behaviors, priorities, and interactions with our core values of Impact, Integrity, Teamwork, Safety, and Service. Promote diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility by fostering a respectful workplace - in how we treat one another, work together, and measure success.
- PhD in computer science, physics, mathematics, statistics, electrical engineering, or a related field and at least 6 years of relevant experience
- Prior experience in quantum system security programs or efforts
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a team environment
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Experience working with the Department of Energy (DOE), Department of Defense (DoD) or other government agencies is highly desirable
- Active Q and/or TS//SCI clearance is a plus
- Ties to the academic community in one or both of cyber security and quantum systems science, to include quantum information science, quantum sensing, and/or quantum computing
- Experience with applied reserach to develop deployable technology
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.