Requisition Id 11052
Oak Ridge National Laboratory is the largest US Department of Energy science and energy laboratory, conducting basic and applied research to deliver transformative solutions to compelling problems in energy and security. We are seeking a Linux Engineer who will support the IT Systems group in the Field Intelligence Operations, National Security Sciences Directorate at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL).
The Linux Systems Engineer functions as part of an elite Information Technology team responsible for providing both server and system administration as well as computing systems support. This position will interface with the Department of Energy Headquarters (DOE HQ), Other Government Agencies (OGA's), and external customers to design, upgrade, maintain, and troubleshoot new and existing systems. Additional duties may require appointment as an Information Systems Security Officer (ISSO) for one or more classified systems requiring interpretation, coordination, documentation, and application of information system security requirements.
- Create, manage, automate and maintain Linux OS installation that meets organization compliance standards for both Workstations and Servers.
- Work with the team to define and implement methodologies and standards within the organization.
- Automate systems administration tasks utilizing open source configuration management tools.
- Tune operating systems and applications to increase performance and reliability of services.
- Diagnose system operational problems quickly and effectively.
- Document system administration procedures for routine and complex tasks.
- Participate in scheduled support and off-hours maintenance windows.
- Coordinate with vendors to resolve hardware and software problems.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related field and at least 8 years of Linux experience, or combination of education and experience.
- Strong scripting skills in shell, python, ruby or Perl.
- Experience using configuration management tools (Ansible, Puppet, or similar technologies).
- Ability to use, build, extend and integrate with existing automation frameworks.
- Expertise with parallel file systems and cluster operations.
- Experience with any container orchestration framework.
- Experience in a production environment using Ansible.
- Previous work with HPC workflows.
- Experience with RHEV, VMWare or other virtualization stacks.
- Experience with GIT or equivalent version control tools.
- Strong documentation skills.
For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the “About” tab at jobs.ornl.gov.
Q clearance with SCI: This position requires the possession of and the ability to maintain a Top Secret (TS) or DOE “Q” security clearance and the ability to obtain a Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI) clearance based on Intelligence Community Directive (ICD) 704 requirements. Additionally, all employees of the Division are required to successfully complete a security evaluation, including a Counterintelligence scope polygraph examination. As such, this position is a Workplace Substance Abuse (WSAP) testing designated position. WSAP positions require passing a pre-placement drug test and participation in an ongoing random drug testing program. Some afterhours work is required.
ORNL is a multi-program research facility managed by UT-Battelle for the Department of Energy. ORNL is an equal opportunity employer and committed to building and sustaining a culturally diverse workplace.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.