Requisition Id 10257
The Advanced Engineering Technologies (AET) Group is seeking a dedicated individual to support our organization. The position will involve machine design and process engineering in a research and development atmosphere. Projects range from new equipment detailed design and tooling, to large consulting tasks. AET resides within the Nuclear Nonproliferation Division (NND) at Oak Ridge National Lab (ORNL). The NND is a division operating within the National Security Sciences Directorate at ORNL. NND staff contributes world class research, technology development, risk assessment, and systems analysis related to nonproliferation and counterproliferation. The division activities play a vital role in implementation of national policy issues that strive to ensure global nuclear security. One of the major focus areas of the AET group is the development of advanced approaches to operation, characterization, and analysis of nuclear fuel cycle processes. The group specializes in the application of engineering principles supporting the characterization of processes and related materials. The AET group collaborates and works with staff from other groups within NND and ORNL to assure the full expertise of fuel cycle processes are applied to meet sponsor needs.
The successful candidate will be involved in supporting the following:
- Contribute to engineering deliverable development such as drawings, reports, specifications, and studies.
- Conduct complex design reviews with multiple contributors
- Perform routine research and develop recommendations for equipment and/or materials selection.
- Prepare engineering calculations following standard methods and principles used in similar engineering analysis.
- Utilize and develop an understanding of industry codes and standard practices.
- Mentor junior staff
Major Duties / Responsibilities:
- The successful candidate, in collaboration with other principal investigators and project management at ORNL, will participate in the design, fabrication, assembly, and operation of dynamic test stands.
- In this position the candidate will be expected to effectively interact with various ORNL staff as well as internal and external sponsors.
- The candidate is expected to work in a team environment with co-workers and management as well as independently; to fully document work performed in the forms of technical reports, papers and presentations; and to participate in the development of research proposals.
- Excellent communication skills including verbal, presentation, and writing skills are required.
- The successful candidate will interface with principal investigators, management, engineers, fabricators, modelers and test campaign personnel.
- A B.S. in Electrical, Systems, or Mechanical Engineering and a minimum of 15 years (MS+8) of related experience, or equivalent, is required with demonstrated experience in the design, fabrication, and operation of test stands and/or complex mechanical systems
- Expert level experience with solid modeling and design software packages
- Experience in the machine design, fabrication, or operation of complex process related systems including vacuum, electrical, HVAC, structural, process, etc.
- Proven communication skills
- Experience in an R&D and/or testing environment
- Machining and fabrication shop experience
- The ability to work flexible hours and travel is required.
- Demonstration of design and process team experience as well as experience in process development & control
- Manufacturing environment quality experience
- Experience in maintaining high levels of process documentation and quality assurance are desired
- TS/SCI Clearance
- This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain an Secret Compartmental Investigation (SCI) clearance from the Department of Energy. As such, this position is a Workplace Substance Abuse (WSAP) testing designated position. WSAP positions require passing a pre-placement drug test and participation in an ongoing random drug testing program. In addition, due the SCI, you may be also be subject to random polygraph testing.
This position is a full-time staff position.
Technical questions should be directed to Dr. John (JJ) Langford, 865-341-8068
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.