Requisition Id 9931
The Advanced Engineering Technologies (AET) Group is seeking a dedicated dynamics engineer specializing in the use and development of computational simulation software for analyzing rotating turbomachinery, with an emphasis on rotor dynamics, bearing analysis, damper analysis, and vibrational analysis. This position will involve the creation and use of computational capabilities in a research and development atmosphere. AET resides within the Nuclear Nonproliferation Division (NND) at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL). The NND is a division operating within the National Security Sciences Directorate. NND staff contributes world class research, technology development, risk assessment, and systems analysis related to nonproliferation and counterproliferation. The division activities play a vital role in implementation of national policy issues that strive to ensure global nuclear security. One of the major focus areas of the AET group is the development of advanced approaches to operation, characterization, and analysis of nuclear fuel cycle processes. The group specializes in the application of engineering principles supporting the characterization of processes and related materials. The AET group collaborates and works with staff from other groups within NND and ORNL to assure the full expertise of fuel cycle processes are applied to meet sponsor needs.
Major Duties / Responsibilities:
- Will participate in the development of simulation software to model the coupled dynamic behavior of rotor/bearing/damper turbomachinery systems.
- This simulation software package will provide both rapid engineering-scale analysis as well as high-fidelity predictive science capabilities.
- The candidate will be expected to use this software to perform analysis of problems of interest to the scientific community.
- This individual will be expected to perform well as part of a larger project team and be capable of developing simulation software in a collaborative development environment.
- In addition to these responsibilities, the candidate will be a contributor to R&D projects and will be expected to report on and brief results throughout the lifecycle of the project.
- In this position the candidate will be expected to effectively interact with various ORNL staff as well as internal and external sponsors.
- The candidate is expected to work in a team environment with co-workers and management as well as independently; to fully document work performed in the forms of technical reports, papers and presentations; and to participate in the development of research proposals.
- Excellent communication skills including verbal, presentation, and writing skills are required.
- The successful candidate will interface with principal investigators, management, engineers, fabricators, modelers, and test campaign personnel.
- An M.S. in mechanical engineering or related field, and a minimum of 5 years of related experience; a Ph.D. in mechanical engineering and a minimum of 2 years of related experience.
- Demonstrated expertise in turbomachinery, with an emphasis on
- Rotor dynamics
- Bearing performance analysis
- Analysis of dampers
- Expertise in computational modeling, including numerical analysis, finite element methods, and software engineering
- Experience in software development in the C++ and Python languages
- Proven communication skills
- The ability to work flexible hours and travel
- Experience in an R&D and/or testing environment
- Expert in mechanics of materials, including plastics, metals and carbon fiber laminates
- Experience in multiphysics modeling
- Experience in parallel programming on large-scale computational clusters
- Expertise in Matlab programming
- Expertise in structural dynamics and solid mechanics software, including Abaqus and ANSYS
- TS/SCI Clearance
- This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a clearance from the Department of Energy. As such, this position is a Workplace Substance Abuse (WSAP) testing designated position. WSAP positions require passing a pre-placement drug test and participation in an ongoing random drug testing program.
- This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a Secret Compartmental Investigation (SCI) clearance from the Department of Energy. As such, this position is a Workplace Substance Abuse (WSAP) testing designated position. WSAP positions require passing a pre-placement drug test and participation in an ongoing random drug testing program. In addition, due the SCI, you may also be subject to random polygraph testing.
This position is a full-time staff position.
Technical questions should be directed to Dr. John (JJ) Langford, 865-341-8068
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.